Thursday, May 2, 2013

Shape Card Tutorial - Lori Whitlock Design Team Day

One of the most popular cards that I've done is this cupcake card I did last year.
IMG_0916Friends_1
I thought I would share a tutorial to show you all how to weld shapes to create your own shape card. 

First, select a shape you would like to use to create your card.  It's best if the top of the shape is simple to allow for a clean weld and crease along the top. 

I used this cupcakes file to create my card. I re sized the file to 11.75"h so that my
completed card would be about 5"h. 
Next, ungroup and delete the pieces you don't need. 

Drag the cupcake top and wrapper off the mat and position the cupcake base layer in the lower left corner of your mat. 

Click on the cupcake shape, then on the menus along the top of your screen select object, pull down to duplicate then select replicate above.

Now you have two identical shapes stacked on top of each other.  Click on the top cupcake to select it.
Then go to object, transform, flip vertically.

While the top cupcake is still selected, use the arrow keys to move it down a little until the edges overlap slightly.  Select both cupcake shapes (you can hold down the shift key to add the second shape to your selection) and then go back to the object menu.  Pull down to select Modify and then Weld. 
Now you have your card base....just fold and cut out the remaining layers and embellish. 

For my card today, I used Echo Park  All about a Boy.  I left off the heart and cut a number 5 instead using Lori's Happy Font instead.
cupcake_shape_card

Everyone loves cupcakes and you can personalize this cute card for any age depending on the the papers and embellishments you choose.  

I hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial.  I am planning some more and would love to know what you guys would like to see. 

Thanks so much for stopping by! 



9 comments:

  1. Love it Corri! Shape Cards are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I love your pics! You make it look so easy! I'm not into crafts myself...just don't have the talent. Your cards are so sweet! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card and wonderful tutorial I am going to pin this for future reference one day I will have a Cameo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!! Great idea to make your own shape, and "why didn't I think of that!?" lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. I just do not have the patience to cut all those individual pieces. AND I have a cricut, pazzles and ecraft...you think I would be all into it....

    Great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both are really fun and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial! So cool to see someone create a card digitally and then physically :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy your cards, Cori. Love the tutorial...and I love the color palettes you chose for both cards. Such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there,
    I' love your card and followed your tutoria, however for some reason it wouldn't let me scale to the right size etc. can you please tell me what I did wrong or email me @ rensimpson76@yahoo.com.au
    Thanks
    Renee

    ReplyDelete